Sunday, July 3, 2016

Let Your Light Shine! Matthew 5:14-16

Today I thought I'd work on a little bible journaling.   I was inspired to create this page after thinking about what I needed to remember about my purpose here...It's always a question, always a struggle for me...What is my purpose?  Why am I here???  I think everyone asks those questions from time to time and I'm not alone.  Spending some time reading His word, I searched specifically for the theme: Light...  It didn't take much time for Him to lead me directly to the spot that would sooth my soul, that would help me understand...
Matthew 5:14-16...
I selected some new light bulb stamps from Fun Stampers Journey called Delightful Light.  It's a great set of five various lightbulbs.  I spent some time reading this page spread searching for the answers to my questions...then I set out to explore His word through my hand...
I prepped my pages by rubbing some Gel medium (with my finger) over the journaling edge of the paper and over the scripture I wanted to highlight.  Using the Gel medium seals the paper and protects it from bleed-through on the other side.  After applying Gel Medium, I moved on to adding a bit of Gesso.  The Gesso helped add a bit of "grit" to the surface of the paper and also helps to make my color choices more vibrant.
For this piece, I opted to use PanPastels and Black Licorice Ink for the stamped image.  After stamping the lightbulb images, I applied PanPastels and a bit of Copic markers for shadowing.  I also used some Prismacolor pencils to add more depth with the colors.  After coloring, I did a little journaling with pencil.  I enjoy restating the scripture into my own words, giving myself affirmations and encouraging words.  After that, I highlighted the verse with Copic Markers.  When page left was done, I moved on to page right.  I continued the same process added some Antique Gold Rub-n-Buff here and there and then applied some Journey Glaze over the bulbs to give them some realistic shine and dimension on the page.  I allowed this to dry overnight.
I just love how the Glaze shines on the page.  Sparkle Dust is also applied using a bit of the Gel Medium.  I tend to use a lot of gold and sparkle in my journaled pages.  I just feel they represent and highlight His word perfectly.
Everyday happenings and life events trigger "themes" of study and reflection. When the "theme" is revealed, I read, I pray and I read some more...and eventually, the scripture that explains it all reveals itself.  It's an amazing and therapeutic process...

Non FSJ Items Used:  
Antique Gold Rub-n-Buff
Prismacolor Pencils
Zig Black Pen
Ticonderoga #2 Pencil

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment about my creations! I appreciate the feedback and LOVE. A stamp in the hand is a song in the heart. Kerry