Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sunday Sip and Share...Coffee, Ink and Clay!



Hello there Coffee-Loving friends!  It's Kerry here and I'm back with another Sunday Sip and Share...This week's inspiration comes from a gorgeous soda fired Yunomi that I acquired from a talented potter I follow on Instagram.  I'm quite addicted to coffee as you know but I'm equally additcted to fine pottery mugs and Yunomi (ceramic tea/drink vessels without handles) that are handthrown by amazing artists worldwide.  I have amassed a nice collection and it grows even more monthly!
This beauty is on the way to me from the lovely Samantha Hostert @shostert a potter and teacher who resides in Chicago.  She was in my area (with this Yunomi) and even posted a shot of it on the grounds of George Washington's Mt. Vernon.  I was thrilled to see her in my neck of the woods and quickly went to her Etsy shop.  This beauty, forever shall be called Mt. Vernon and shall return to visit George and Martha often!
So...This cup, and more importantly, the bleeding/drippy glaze, inspired my card creation today.  I did a bit of doodling (as did Samantha) on a hand formed mug (heehee) and then added watercolor in a messy/bleeding fashion.  I love how it mimicked the design of the stamps too!  
What do you think?  Do you like it?  Do you like how the browns separated when I watercolored it?  I used Fun Stampers Journey Liquid Color and felt like I was a glaze mixer...taking parts of red, yellow, blue and a little more red and a little more yellow to make the brown just coffee-licious...Then...When I applied it to the paper, it had this magnificent reaction and the colors separated and danced around on the paper like a fantastical magic show!  Just like the magic of taking a fired piece out of the kiln!  It's awesome!  Oh yeah, I have had a few runs of firing my own pottery...and I miss it so much!
Now the stamp design in the background...Well, I love this new doodly set called Chosen Family from Fun Stampers Journey.  It reminds me a lot of the Scandinavian linens that my grandma had.  I stamped the solid flower first using a tone on tone theme with the solid stamp and Oatmeal Cookie Ink then overstamped the pattern using Black Licorice (and the outline image).  So yummy!  I mimicked the design of the outline stamp on my hand-doodled mug.  I think it works well.  Adding some embellishing touches like Licorice Sparkle tape, a strip of brown cardstock and some Natural and Black Twine and pearls helped finish the card off.  I also glossed up the cup with Journey Glaze.  SO SHINY!
So now let's get to the sketch!  Yes, I created a coordinating sketch inspired by my card today and I invite YOU to play along with it!  Just create a fun card using this sketch as inspiration and upload it here to our inlinkz.  At the end of the month I will choose one winner who will receive a fun coffee-lovers prize!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment about my creations! I appreciate the feedback and LOVE. A stamp in the hand is a song in the heart. Kerry